This position is located with the United States Army Medical Command, Weed Army Hospital, Community Mental Health Services, Fort Irwin, California.
Weed Army Community Hospital's Community Mental Health Service is located at Fort Irwin, CA, located 37 miles NE of the city of Barstow, Calofirnia. Located in the Inland Empire midway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, Barstow offers the conveniences of small town living with the resources of major metropolitan areas only a short drive away. The extensive city park system features play areas, pools, bowling alleys, golf courses, tennis and volleyball courts, ball and soccer fields, batting cages and in-line roller hockey. Residents also enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, hunting, off-roading, and desert exploring. Ft. Irwin is only a short drive to the historic mountain valley community Big Bear Lake. The natural beauty of Big Bear Lake attracts boating enthusiast, cyclists, hikers, runners, snowboarders and skiers from all over the world.
Nearest airports are located in Ontario, CA (120 miles), Los Angeles (175 miles) and Las Vegas (180 miles).
Performs full range of advanced practice nursing care for treating beneficiaries (children, adolescents, and adults) requesting behavioral health services. The services may be performed on site at the clinic by qualified individuals or by referral to an appropriate network provider. The position requires an individual who can utilize all the skills of an advanced practice nurse to provide comprehensive care in a busy clinic. The incumbent will evaluate new patients, gather histories, discuss goals with patients, and implement mutually agreed upon solutions. The advanced practice nurse will prescribe medications, educate patients about risks and benefits, probe for side effects, and monitor progress, always striving to meet the patients' needs. This position functions at an expanded level of responsibility by combining services of the professional nurse and the physician within the framework of mutually established medical guidelines. This position is involved in primary care which is the care of patients at the point of contact with the health care service or the continued care of ambulatory patients.
1. Performs psychiatric intakes and evaluations, and prescribes medications. Incumbent works closely with other members of the total treatment team in the formulation of the total care plan for patients. Provides comprehensive nursing care for any type of psychiatric patient. Observes patients closely, evaluating and recording any significant behavior and reaction patterns. Screens for and addresses side effects or other medication problems, monitors efficacy, responding as needed.
2. Meets or exceeds quality care standards, achieves clinical excellence, contributes to quality improvement, and strives for high patient satisfaction. Incumbent participates actively in the quality improvement system, to comply with all appropriate Joint Commission standards and National Patient Safety goals, and other quality improvement projects.
3. Maintains appropriate records using a computerized record keeping and coding system.
4. Works closely with primary care and other providers in accepting referrals, providing feedback, and sending referrals as needed.
5. Provides feedback and advice to unit commanders and other leaders regarding the well-being of their soldiers.
6. Presents patient cases and classes for patient care conferences and academic institutions. Serves in a leadership position and is recognized as a consultant and role model to other health care professionals both within, and outside, the institution. Acts as a preceptor to graduate students enrolled in psychiatric nurse practitioner programs. Develops and/or conducts in-service education programs for other health care professionals. Serves as advisor/member of committees as needed.
PERFORMS OTHER DUTIES AS NEEDED.
US Citizenship Required
Must be a licensed Nurse Practitioner with at least one year of Behavioral Health experience since being licensed as an NP.
Resume/CV must list hours per week worked for all work positions in order to correctly determine experience and pay setting.